Welcome to the "Traveling to Central Kansas" blog!
This five-bedroom farmhouse, just blocks from downtown #Lindsborg the newest addition to the Lindsborg Vacation Rentals family.
Åkerhuset features five bedrooms, a huge “farmhouse” kitchen, onsite laundry and a combination living area & tornado shelter in the basement.
While this property has been reserved for Hyllningsfest, its available for friends and families visiting central Kansas. Visit our website: LindsborgVacationRentals.com for more information and pictures. Then call us at 855-872-3487. Save $$$ and #bookdirect!
USA Today selected America’s Coolest Airbnbs from Alabama to Wisconsin. Each of these 24 Airbnbs have that cool factor that guests crave. Here is the list from USA Today: America’s Coolest Airbnbs.
Vetehuset, one of the Lindsborg Vacation Rentals, made the list! Vetehuset is located on the second floor of a historic building in downtown #Lindsborg, where guests will find two large studio apartments, Plantera and Skorda, that can be leased individually or together.
Check out the website to learn more and then #bookdirect or go to the Airbnb listing.
Midsummer’s Festival in Lindsborg – Saturday, June 15
- 9 AM to 3 PM – Live Swedish Folk Dancing, Swedish Pancakes, Kringler, Spritz and Coffee Demos, Learn Swedish
- 8:30 AM – Fun Run
- 11 AM – Kubb – (Viking stick throwing competition)
- 3 PM – Craft Demonstrations
- Throughout: Swedish Folk Dancers, Folkdanslag, Marquette Cloggers, Broadway RFD, Majestic Footwork, Lindsborg Community Jazz Band, Kids Activities
- 7 PM – Maypole and Swedish Dancing
- 8:30 PM – 11 PM – Beer Garden
- 8:30 PM – 11:30 PM – Rice County Line Band
- 9 PM – 11 PM – Free Swim at Municipal Pool
Smoky Hill River Festival in Oakdale Park in Salina – June 13 to 16
- Four large stages featuring Lost Wax, Larkin Poe and Joe’s Pet Project
- Musical and roving entertainment
- Fine Art and Four Rivers Craft Show
- Fun festival food
- Artyopolis Kid’s Area
The Little Red Hen at McPherson Opera House – June 8 – 10 AM and 11:30 AM – free admission
How does a place in the middle of nowhere effectively put itself on the map? Find out by watching this YouTube video: https://youtu.be/rpuZ2bDSCQw Please comment on the YouTube channel page below this video. Takk saa mycket!
The eighth episode is from Budapest: https://youtu.be/57zQEw0bCIU
The ninth episode is from Bowen Island, a 45-minute ferry ride from Vancouver: https://youtu.be/t72Duj-eVm4
Nawlins (aka, New Orleans)
The tenth and final episode is from New Orleans: https://youtu.be/_bs7ZXJK5eQ
Today, as in centuries past, Swedes make and serve waffles during Our Lady’s Day, March 25. This festival marks nine months until Christmas Day, just as the long winter is breaking into warmer temperatures. Lindsborg holds its Våffeldagen on the Saturday nearest to March 25.
How did waffles get connected with the celebration of Our Lady’s Day? The story goes something like this: the Swedish word vårfrudagen or “Our Lady’s Day,” sounds similar to the Swedish word våffeldagen or “waffle day.” Over time this mispronounciation began to mark a new tradition with waffles, already a favored Swedish treat. Waffle Day also became a tradition across many European countries.
Lindsborg artist Carla Wilson launched Lindsborg Våffeldagen nine years ago by making waffle costumes out of crate bed foam that was spray-painted a golden brown with cotton muslin as whipped cream and colored felt as berries. Wilson invited two friends to wear the costumes with her and wave at passersby from the corner of Main and Lincoln Streets. The net year, one Lindsborg restaurant served hot waffles while the Waffle People roamed. Today Våffeldagen is known statewide for its spring spirit and good eating.
The Waffle People will be roaming downtown to hand out menus and to distribute complimentary waffle cookies, courtesy of Scott’s Hometown Foods, between 7 AM and 2 PM. Indulge in a wide variety of hot Våffeldagen waffles here:
- “The Waffle Vault” – a Svensk Hyllningsfest pop-up fundraiser sponsored by Rachel’s Pastries and the Kiwanis Club of Lindsborg, serving classic waffles with a toppings bar: 8 AM to 2 PM at First Bank Kansas at 118 N. Main
- Farley’s Bar and Grill – serving buttermilk waffles with fruit options, bacon waffles, pecan waffles, chocolate chip waffles and side of bacon or sausage: 11 AM to 4 PM at 101 N. Main
- The While Peacock – sugar coated waffles with strawberries and cream cheese, plus regular menu items and specialty drinks: 8 AM to 2 PM at 124 S. Main
- Blacksmith Coffee Shop and Roastery – hot waffles with maple whipped cream and bacon strips plus regular menu items and specialty drinks: 6 AM to 1 PM at 122 N. Main
- Courtyard Bakery – hot waffles with lingonberries with sour cream or with syrup and butter plus regular menu items: 9 AM to 1 PM at 125 N. Main
- Brickhouse Grill – special waffle fries plus regular grilled specialty menu items: 11 AM to 8 PM at 201 N. Harrison
- Scott’s Hometown Foods – nacho waffle fries plus regular deli selections and full line of Scandinavian foods: 11 M to 1 PM at 215 N. Harrison
- Öl Stuga – waffle shots plus regular sandwich selections: 11 AM to 2 PM at 119 S. Main
Våffeldagen is made possible by Pastries by Rachel, Scott’s Hometown Foods, Lindsborg Laundry, First Bank Kansas, Lindsborg Ad Hoc Roundtable, Kiwanis Club of Lindsborg, Svensk Hyllningsfest 2019, The Ivory Thimble, Small World Gallery, Lindsborg Restaurants and Waffle Lovers like you!
No, this isn’t a picture of the owner of Lindsborg Vacation Rentals. Maybe if he was younger and had a head full of hair! But where were we?
The owner was quoted in the Washington Post on February 21st. The newspaper’s weekly column by Christopher Elliott was about how some vacation rental owners charge extra for . . . what?? We have a cleaning fee, but are otherwise very transparent.
Some call Matt Landau a travel guru. Some call him an advocate for vacation rentals. At Lindsborg Vacation Rentals, we simply call him “Matt.”
Last year, Matt traveled the world, visiting vacation rental owners in their own locales. Bali. Budapest. Lisbon. Rio de Janiero. Montevideo, Uruguay. St. John, US Virgin Islands. Vancouver. Lindsborg, Kansas. Wait…what? It’s true!Every Thursday at 2 pm Eastern time, a new episode will be dropped onto Booking.com’s website The fun starts on February 28th. Hint: Lindsborg’s episode drops April 18th!
Enjoy the teaser!
Turnkey Vacation Rentals manages luxury properties along the East Coast, West Coast and some places in between….but not Kansas! However Lindsborg Vacation Rentals was quoted quite a few times in their recent post about managing multiple vacation rental properties. Here is a link: https://blog.turnkeyvr.com/manage-multiple-vacation-rental-properties/
The Kansas community affectionately known as “Little Sweden” is getting some big recognition. Senators Jerry Moran and Pat Roberts introduced a resolution in the United State Senate celebrating Lindsborg, Kansas on the 150th anniversary of its establishment, commending the people who have made Lindsborg the own full of rich culture it is today and honoring the immigrants of the Varmland province of Sweden for settling in Lindsborg. Lindsborg was established on February 20, 1869.
Representative Roger Marshall of the state’s first Congressional district introduced a companion resolution in the House of Representatives.
“Lindsborg is a town full of rich history, whose residents today still embody the perseverance of its settlers who first made Lindsborg home 150 years ago,” said Senator Moran. “I am always struck by the kindness of Lindsborg residents, and every time I visit, I leave thinking, ‘I could live here.’ I am pleased to help celebrate this exciting milestone in the town’s history and we look forward to what’s still to come.”
“Lindsborg is a true cultural gem on the Kansas prairie,” said Senator Roberts. “Over the last 150 years, the town has both persevered and prospered keeping true to its deep Swedish roots. These traditions will help the town continue to be a wonderful place to call home.”
“It’s my honor to sponsor this resolution that celebrates the 150th Anniversary of a very special town to my family, Lindsborg, Kansas,” said Representative Marshall. “Lindsborg is a bright, vibrant community that honors its past while embracing its future. Growing up in a family with Swedish roots, we still celebrate Swedish traditions today. In fact, every Christmas dinner we have various Swedish dishes, bought from Lindsborg, including pickled herring, anchovies, hardtack crackers and Swedish candies. I greatly value my heritage which is why I am proud to sponsor a resolution supporting Lindsborg, ‘Little Sweden, USA.'”
Thanks to Rocking M Media!