|The Birger Sandzén Memorial Gallery presents a chamber concert featuring Sławomir Dobrzański, aversatile pianist with a broad repertoire, Sunday November 10, 2:00 PM in the Sandzén Gallery at 401 North First Street in Lindsborg . As a soloist, he has performed in Poland, Germany, Lithuania, Ukraine, Slovakia, Switzerland, Belgium, Italy, Macedonia, Spain, France, China, Taiwan, Mexico, Ecuador, Peru, Paraguay, Argentina, Canada, India, and throughout the United States. Sławomir has participated in:|
He is a graduate of the Chopin Academy of Music in Warsaw, Poland and the University of Connecticut, where he received the Doctor of Musical Arts degree in 2001. His teachers include Jadwiga Orzechowska, Regina Smendzianka, Andrzej Dutkiewicz, Jerzy Maciejewski, Kajetan Mochtak, Jack Winerock, Zelma Bodzin and Neal Larrabee. He also participated in summer courses in Switzerland and Poland, where he studied piano performance with Malcolm Frager, Mieczysław Horszowski and Victor Merzhanov. Additionally, he benefited from coaching sessions with Nina Tichman in Mainz, Germany, and Jan Gorbaty in New York City.
- the Potomac River Piano Festival in Colonial Beach, VA,
- the Mozart Festival in Poznań, Poland,
- the Chopin Festival in Antonin, Poland,
- the Warsaw Autumn Contemporary Music Festival,
- the Festival of Polish Pianists in Słupsk, Poland,
- the Chopin Festival of Hawaii, the Chopin & Friends Festival in New York City,
- the Chopiniana Festival in Buenos Aires, Argentina,
- the Darmstadt Festival of New Music in Darmstadt, Germany,
- the MusicGettysburg! Festival in Gettysburg, PA,
- the El Paso Chopin Music Festival,
- the American Liszt Society National Festival, in Lincoln, NE,
- the Chopin Festival in Miami, FL,
- the Athena Festival in Murray, KY,
- the KWU International Music Festival in Salina, KS,
- and the Karol Szymanowski Festival in Beijing, China.
He is also an author of the first English language biography of the acclaimed 19th century pianist and composer Maria Szymanowska, published in 2006 by the Figueroa Press and the University of Southern California in Los Angeles. In 2013, he recorded a multi disc album of the complete piano music by Szymanowska, released in 2013 by the Acte Préalable label in Poland.
A Nationally Certified Teacher of Music, Sławomir Dobrzański was a member of music faculties at Concordia College in Moorhead, Minnesota and the University of Rhode Island. Currently he serves as Professor of Music at the School of Music, Theatre and Dance at Kansas State University, where he teaches piano performance, chamber music and piano literature.
Please visit www.dobrzanski.weebly.com for more information. The Sandzén Gallery is located at 401 North First Street in Lindsborg and is open from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Tuesday through Saturday, and 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM on Sunday. The Gallery is closed on Mondays. Admission is free, with donations appreciated. Docent tours for groups are available by two-week advance appointment. For more information about Birger Sandzén and the Sandzén Gallery visit the website www.sandzen.org or call (785) 227-2220.