|We need the color of pageantry and the heart-tug of tradition casting rays of light in our lives, which is why Lindsborg’s Saint Lucia Festival, commonly celebrated in Sweden on December 13, comes so highly recommended. The story of Lucia sparked centuries ago in the darkest cold of winter when many Swedes were said to be starving. The tale holds that on one bleak night, the people of a particularly hard-struck village saw a light across the lake, moving toward the town. Soon the villagers could clearly see white-robed Lucia with red sash and green-wreathed head crowned in candlelight. Lucia brought the people food, a welcome relief. Most of all, Lucia brought hope.|
Lindsborg celebrates Saint Lucia the second Saturday in December every year. Enjoy a day of Swedish folk dancing, live music and children’s crafts. Spy Lucia as she might have been seen those many years ago. Surrounded by dancers donning their traditional Swedish costumes, Lucia brings joy and light once again.
At 11:00 a.m., a young woman clothed as Saint Lucia, and her stjärngosse (star boys) lead a procession to Bethany Lutheran Church for the fourth grade performance of traditional songs, sung in both Swedish and English. Later in the day, the adult Folkdanslag group will join for more dancing while gingersnaps and coffee are served. The crowning moment is the coronation of the high school’s Saint Lucia and the singing of traditional Saint Lucia songs.
Schedule of Events:
Print a full schedule here https://www.visitlindsborg.com/st-lucia-festival . For the little ones, a free printable Saint Lucia paper doll can be downloaded here.
- 10:00 AM - Lindsborg Swedish Folk Dancers Performance, First Bank Kansas, 118 N Main
- 10:15 AM - Lindsborg Swedish Folk Dancers Performance with fourth graders, First Bank Kansas, 118 N Main
- 10:45 AM - 11:00AM - Processional to Bethany Lutheran Church, 320 N Main St
- 11:00 AM - 1:30 PM - Various performances at Connected, 129 N Main St
- 11:00 AM - 11:30 AM - Fiddlers perform Prelude, Bethany Church, 320 N Main St
- 11:45 AM - 1:00 PM - Saint Lucia and attendants serve cookies and cider, downtown Lindsborg
- 11:30 AM - Fourth Grade Saint Lucia Program, Bethany Lutheran Church, 320 N Main St
- 1:15 PM - 1:45 PM -Folkdanslag performance in front of Bethany Church, 320 N Main St
- 1:45 PM - 2:30 PM - Lindsborg Swedish Folk Dancers performance in front of Bethany Church, 320 N Main St
- 3:00 PM - Lindsborg Swedish Folk Dancers' Saint Lucia Program at Bethany Church, 320 N Main St, cookies and cider served afterward!